cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 swith used for routing

jim.depperman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3750, connected to a 10.1.1.0 network. I want to create a vlan using a 172.x.y.z network. How do I configure the 3750 to route requests for the 172.x.y.xz network to the correct vlan?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thats fine. In the above config, assign vlan 1 with 10.x.y.192 and connect a port on the 3750 assigned to vlan 1 to the router (fast E-> fast E would do).

On router configure default route for

172.x.y.z to go to 10.x.y.192.

On the 3750, crate vlan 2, assign 172.x.y.z address to that vlan (as described in previous post) and configure a default route,

ip route 0.0.0;0 0.0.0.0

Summarizing, you will need to configure vlan 1 (10.x.y.192) and vlan 2 (172.x.y.z) on the 3750 and the add the default route as above to pass traffic between the two networks.

HTH.

PS: To assign a port to a vlan

int fa0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

conf t

ip routing -> enables ip routing on switch.

int vlan 1

no shut

ip add

vlan 2 -> defines vlan 2

name

exit

int vlan 2

no shut

ip add

ip helper-addres --> if dhcp relay required

show ip route should list both networks, as long as there are hosts connected on both vlans.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

OK, I don't think I gave enough details, I want to assign a 10.x.y.192 address to access this vlan. I am running low on 10.x.y.z addresses in my area and that is why I want to use the 172.x.y.z addresses for a bank of servers. My primary router will have a route that sends all 172.x.y.z requests to 10.x.y.192.. Maybe this will clear up my requirements. Thanks

Thats fine. In the above config, assign vlan 1 with 10.x.y.192 and connect a port on the 3750 assigned to vlan 1 to the router (fast E-> fast E would do).

On router configure default route for

172.x.y.z to go to 10.x.y.192.

On the 3750, crate vlan 2, assign 172.x.y.z address to that vlan (as described in previous post) and configure a default route,

ip route 0.0.0;0 0.0.0.0

Summarizing, you will need to configure vlan 1 (10.x.y.192) and vlan 2 (172.x.y.z) on the 3750 and the add the default route as above to pass traffic between the two networks.

HTH.

PS: To assign a port to a vlan

int fa0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Getting there, I can see both sides, but I can't talk between the vlans. I had a vlan 3 that already had and 10.x.y.z connection, gave it and IP and am able to hit the ip. From the switch I can hit both networks 10.x.y.z and 172.x.y.z but I can't communicate between them, looks like my route is not working correctly, did I miss something? Do I have to add a route between the 172 and the 10 network specifically?? Thanks much..

JOY JOY, went back of my settings and must have fat fingered one works great now, Thanks

Glad, that every thing is working now. I appreciate the 5 cents.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW