Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3750G won't "age out" old arp table entries

WS-C3750G-24TS running

12.2(20)SE4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1).

sho mac-address-table aging-time

Vlan Aging Time

---- ----------

253 300

252 300

254 300

255 300

1 300

251 300

--------

The aging is not working. I can failover some devices I have and the mac-address of the old device associated the the IP never ages out. "Clear arp" makes the standby unit respond to pings and connectivity to the standby unit is 100% after the "clear arp".

Showing the arp cache, I can see the IP associated with the old mac-address and the "age" keeps increasing, not decreasing with the old mac-address.

It also doesn't matter if the Primary unit has been rebooted, switch keeps the old mac-address associated the Primary unit.

Suggestions?

3 REPLIES

Re: 3750G won't "age out" old arp table entries

bump

Silver

I think permanent entry should have been made into the arp cache using the "arp ip-address hardware-address type" command.

To remove this arp entry, you can try "clear arp-cache".This will delete all dynamic entries from the ARP table.

for more details, refer the following page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800ca5b0.html#1017562

why would I want to make a perm. apr entry? I need the arp cache to "age-out" in 5 mins like my sho command indicates.

The aging-time for my arp table is 5 mins. I need the old mac-address associated with the IP to "age-out" so my new mac-address can be associated with the same IP.

Views
Helpful
Replies