cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3800 ISR questions

mbell
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at the 3800 series ISR as an Internet router for a customer. Can anybody tell me what the maximum recommended/supported routing table size is (from a BGP peering standpoint)? Also, does anybody have any idea what the maximum source routing throughput is for a 3800? I know source routing is processor-intensive but I cannot find any recommended/supported throughputs. The customer has about 10Mbps of traffic between two ISPs and wants to repace a set of Powerlink boxes with a 3800. Thanks!

2 Replies 2

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

off the top, if it's a shop with under 300 users, supporting ip phones or not, then a 3845 for example will be more than adequate. 256MB ram/64MB flash minium to assure your BGP tables can be handled but if you only have two ISPs simply for redundancy, then BGP tables will not be a problem for this device.

a mere 10Mb of ISP traffic is lightweight for this device. see the test/findings on this device by miercomm at the below link:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps5855/c1244/cdccont_0900aecd80173937.pdf

I understand that the router is capable of much more throughput than 10Mbps of normal traffic. My question specifically related to source routing since it is much more processor-intensive than destination routing.