Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Purple

4006 , code 7.6.13

We recently upgraded a few 4006's with Sup II's in them .Also seeing the same problem on 2980's with this code. Now when you do a ping test from the switch the ping times are extremely long as an example

300 packets transmitted, 300 packets received, 0% packet loss

round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 7/840/35187 .

There is no way these are correct , first the max time is longer than it takes to run the whole test . I checked a few different boxes with this code on it and am seeing the same thing and the max time is always 351XX . Anyone else having this problem ? This has to be a bug. They were fine when running version 6.4.11 . Looked for bugs but didn't find anything that I can see from my CCO account.

8 REPLIES

Re: 4006 , code 7.6.13

Glen,

are the ping responses to these addresses from an adjacent device on the same lan (a PC for ex)..shorter than the one listed above ? How much were the responses with 6.4.11 ?

This could be an undocumented (cisco internal) bug.

Purple

Ok we have narrowed it down , it appears to be a bug with the extended ping function on the catos . If we just use a ping

the times are fine . Those long ping times were to the directly attached router and they are gig connections . If just use the regular ping function (non-extended) it is less than 10 ms . Seems to be some kind of bug in the ping time calculations using extended ping. Just tried 7.6.14 and it has the same bug in it .

Cisco Employee

There is a cosmetic CAT OS bug you could be running into

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCeh31028

Try 7.6(15) when it becomes available(expected later this month)

Purple

Sounds like it but it doesn't make me any happier when we have already run this code out to 150 plus boxes , may be cosmetic but that doesn't help when trying to troubleshoot slow response problems and the like.

Cisco Employee

If you are troubleshooting slow response, it is always a bad idea to ping from a Cisco device to another Cisco device since ICMP is a low priority when sourced/destined for itself is a low priority task. Instead ping between devices in the VLAN. Moreover, ICMP response is slow in CAT OS based CAT4ks to begin with

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/82.html#ping

Purple

Yup understand that , but you can use it to get an idea if anything is going on , but with this bug the times are so far off you can't even get an idea . If i use the switch to ping it is usually to an end user device and not to another cisco device.

Purple

An added note to this problem appears to be this problem is valid across any catos box running 7.6.13 which includes 6500's . Hopefully this will be fixed with the next release , extended ping on the catos side is basically worthless the way it is.

Community Member

This kind of bug will drive you crazy!

I first saw it in Cat 7.6(10).

It took me a couple of hours spining my wheels to realize it was a bug.

Good Luck

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content