Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

4006 config revision # increments on vtp domain

I have 2 4006's in the same vtp domain and I have configured about 8 vlans on both. When I do a 'show vtp domain' command I can see that on both switches the Config Rrevision # is still set @ ZERO (0). Both are set to server mode. <----- is that the problem (Should I have one as client) Right now those 2 are the only ones in that particular VTP domain. The fact that the config revision # in not increasing concerns me because if I introduce a smaller switch with a higher revision number that switch may become the the vtp root? Can anyone help me out with this one????

2 REPLIES

Re: 4006 config revision # increments on vtp domain

Is your trunk link(s) ISL or dot1q?

Having 2+ VTP servers isn't a bad thing/not a problem (it's common). Whenever you make a vlan change (add/delete a vlan) on a VTP server, the switch issues VTP messages so that other switches can update their vlan configs. With a fresh config the revision number is 0. It increments until it hits a huge number (2 billion or something) then it counter wraps back to 0. You can reset the revision number with the "set vtp domain xxxx" command.

Add a vlan and see if the number increments. Use the commands "show vtp stat" and "show vtp domain".

If it doesn't increase, make a vlan change and put a sniffer on the trunk link to see the VTP packets, look at the sniffer output to see if the revision number is there (it should be, along with the time of the change, and other info).

Hope it helps.

Steve

Re: 4006 config revision # increments on vtp domain

Steve,

I'm using dot1Q encap (the only supported encap on the 4000's). I've done what you said minus the sniffer part and the config # still won't increase. I guess I'll test it a bit more.

~zo

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content