Views
Helpful
Replies

4006 EngineIII VLAN question

mpreti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need start with a VLAN/Layer3 implementation in a quite big site currently completely flat. (only layer2 switch in place)

In order to reduce and segment the impact for this upgrade it's possible using a Cat4006 with EngineIII to start with a 5 IP-subnet in the same Vlan.

In this way the local routing will work fine between the local 5 subnet? The only bad is that I loose the benefit of the VLAN isolation or there is other problem.Then step by step we will procede creating the other 4 VLAN and moving on it the own subnet.

Thanks for the answer

6 Replies 6

tstevens
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you could do this just fine. Configure multiple "ip address xyz secondary" commands under the single vlan interface.

you need to configure "'no ip redirects' to make this switching done in hardware if you configure secondary addresses on cat4k sup3. You would not get good performance with software switching

Hi,

what about the "ip route-cache same-interface" command?

Is it possible to use it on the Cat4k Switching engine III?

Where I can find some configuration example for this new module?

thanks a lot,

Leonardo

The Cat4k SupIII switches packets in hardware and ip route-cache same-interface will not have any effect on packet flow.

i had to migrate a flat network where the routing was done by a linux server have 3 nics when i implemented vlans i had to use proxy arp as linux couldnt be removed from the network as the users logged into the linux server to use the network i m not doing any routing i just have a default gatewar for the linux server u could try the same use proxy arp

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this configuration is possible. You are correct that you loose VLAN isolation and create a single broadcast domain.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: