cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4006 issues

ekeen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of 4006 that Students seem to have a hard time keep a connection to the switch. This happen about 2 to 3 times a week. I will put a fluke on the walljack in the room and its able to get out and to the internet with no problem. Then If I take the connect from the 4006 and plug it into a cisco 3548 switch the students laptop get out ok with out doing anything to the switch or to the laptop.

( Duplexing, Fastforwarding, 100 mbs any changes doesn't help )

Has anyone seen this type of problem before? I cant ask all the students to update their Nic driver half of them don't even know what I'm talking about.

TIA

9 Replies 9

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello ekeen

Can you please be a little elaborative? What exactly is the problem? Is the switchport not coming up or fluctuating when they connect to 4006? how are they going to internet. is the outside router connected to this switch? are you doing nat anywhere??

please let us know..

Raj

Raj,

when a student has their PC connected to the walljack the station says its connected at 100mb but can't get to the internet. The Pc is not infected,and will work with the other switch. We able to ping it and ping the router going out to the internet but not pull up webpages.

From Student room to switch(4006) to a switch(6509) and then on to the Router(7200)out to the internet.

We are not doing Nat.

There are about 400 students and this seems to happen alot on these 4006 switches. When I show port 4/24 it doesn't show to have any problems or show faulty.

I would check the code level of the 4006 , earlier code versions had problems with people dropping connections and even unable to talk to people in the same vlan .

Thanks for you reply. If your talking about the IOS code it has the lastest one. This is very frustating because from the student Pc I can ping this switch and the switch beyoned the 4006 but it will never reach the Router. I've also noticed that these seems to happen with olders Compaq PC.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Hello,

since you say that you observe this behaviour a.o. with older Compaq boxes, you could try and either exchange the NIC, or upgrade to the latest NIC driver, if one is available.

Can you post the output of ´show version´? That in order to check for any had- or software related bugs.

Regards,

Nethelper

If you are using dhcp for the students to pull the address make sure you are running portfast on all user ports or use the the command "set port host" on all user ports .

Thank you for your info but I was wondering why your or saying that portfast needs to be enable if your using DHCP?

TIA for you help.

When it doesn't work do the non working pc have a valid address that was assigned to it from the dhcp server ?

Yes this one did but some don't for the most part the workstations usually get a DHCP address o.k.

TFYR