bkaren1278
Level 1
Level 1

I am reviewing the configuration of a 4006 switch and came across:

set port channel 4/13-16 166

set port channel 4/17-20 167

set port channel 4/21-24 168

etc.....

what exactly is this doing, etherchanneling 4 ports together?

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The above lines does not indicate the ports are in etherchannel. They just indicate the channel admin number assigned to the groups.

please define what the channel admin number is used for?

Hi

This is what is the supporting doc tells about the admin group...

"Administrative groups specify which ports can form an EtherChannel together.

An administrative group can contain a maximum of eight ports.

However, administrative group membership is restricted by hardware capabilities.

You can configure up to eight ports on the same switch in each administrative group.

When you assign ports to an existing admin group, the original ports associated with the admin group will move to an automatically picked new admin group. You cannot add ports to the same admin group.

If you do not enter an admin_group value, it means that you want to create a new administrative group with admin_group selected automatically.

The next available administrative group is automatically selected"

hope this helps...

regds

Thanks, this makes sense. However, this is the first time i am seeing port channel administrative groups. I was under the impression you can etherchannel any 2 ports you want without the group, is this true?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: