cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4006 redundancy

r.earle
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 4006's with a msfc card in each with 2 gbics each as well, my question is if the sup engine dies do the gbic port stay up or do they also die?

Thanks in advance,

Ron

5 Replies 5

efrahim
Level 4
Level 4

If you are talking about the two Gbics ports on the supervisor card then it will die if the supervisor fails.

Thanks

Erum

We thought so but wanted to make sure.

Thanks again,

Ron

I am assuming you are talking about 4232-l3 module ..as MSFC is associated with cat6000, The supervisor control all the line cards in the switches and hence if it fails, all communicatin through the switch fails and all the modules are not usable.

You have to use HSRP between two 4000 switches to provide redundancy.

I may be wrong on this, but aren't the Gig1/1 & Gig1/2 on the 4232-L3 router ports, not switched ports? Don't you have to configure them on the L3 router (IOS) and not the Cat.

Again, sorry if this is a repeat post.

The old customer was asking about the supervisor ports which are switch ports but the external L3 ports are def. router ports and configurable from the router. But if the supervisor dies, whole switch dies even the router module.

Erum

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco