Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

4503 Sup II -- Sup IV

Trying to find some information on upgrading from Supervisor II to the Supervisor IV engine, is port info stored on the backplane or the module, how to backup. Thanks

5 REPLIES
Silver

Re: 4503 Sup II -- Sup IV

The backplane is passive that it should not store those information. It saved at the flash or the NV-RAM in the Sup. I suggest to at least backup by capture the configuration to text file. I am afraid, some of the commands may be changed during upgrade.

You can first upgrade the IOS / CatOS in old Sup to the same as new Sup to ensure the command format is correct then capture the configuration. Replace the Sup and paste it back to the new Sup. Moreover, do remember to use clear text to enter the password if it is encrypted during capture.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick response.

Firstly how do we know what ver IOS the new Sup is running, do I swap out the Sup II module and put the new one in, find out IOS, reinstall old sup, then upgrade IOS?

Is there a white paper you know of that you could direct me to, surley this has been done plenty of times.

Thanks Jack, appreciate your help!

Configuration is stored in the sup's NVRAM on both SupII and SupII+ or above. SupII (WS-X4013) on cat4000 (I am aware that the chassis is 4503 but in general they are cat4000 family) runs CatOS and supIV (WS-X4515) runs IOS, that means the configuration that you want to back from SupII will not work for SupIV. The CatOS is a "set" command based, the IOS is like a router. So, you can't just port the CatOS based configuration to IOS based.

There is a tool that Cat6000 uses to convert CatOS to IOS configuration but like I said it's for Cat6000 but it might be able to convert most of your CatOS configuration to IOS:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/CatCfgConversion/catcfg_xlat.pl

After converting you will need to manually check to make sure.

Please rate helpful posts.

Silver

Hi Roberto, thanks for your correction and clarification.

In this case, we have to convert to IOS format first then paste it to the new SUP. Sorry I did not try to upgrade the CatOS to IOS, can you advise if we simply upgrade the CatOS to IOS in this Sup (if it supported), will the condfiguration still in the box and translate to new IOS format ?

Many thx.

On cat4000 platfrom family there is no CatOS to Native IOS conversion.. The supervisor will run either CatOS or IOS. sups that run CatOS have no way of converting to IOS and Sups that run IOS have to way of converting to CatOS. This is not Cat6000. The converision tool I posted is just for the CatOS configuration to be converted to IOS based configuration. In addition, the tool is used for CatOS configuration for Cat6000 when converting to Native IOS configuration. so, it must be used with that in mind.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content