cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4506 GB Blade

mcpcca
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 4506 w/ 18 port GB blade and SX inserts. I have a fiber connection to a 2950G switch. I have a link on the 2950 gi0/1 but no link on the 4506 fiber connection. The sho int gi2/11 on the 4506 shows connection down. But if i unplug the fiber from the 4506 the 2950G connection on gi0/1 goes down, so I know that it is up. I have the gi2/11 on the 4506 as "no switch port" for Layer 3 access and an IP address. Also both ends are hard coded with nonegoiate. I have the gi0/1 on the 2950G set as switchport access vlan 52. Both switches have all the Vlans in the database. Is there something wrong on the 4506? Do I need any Port-Channel groups setup? I did scope the fiber with a flash light and can see the light through the fiber. I must be missing something.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Have you tried reconnecting the 2950 and the 4506 and see if you have "up,up" on the 4506? that is the first "up" specify the physical link and the second "up" specify the L2. If you have L2 shown as down then it could be something to do with the L2 protocol that you're running.

I got it working but only with LX GBICs. Does that mean that the fiber is only single mode and not multimode?

Ahhhh, did not think of that. You're right. In my experience, SX will only work with SX and not any other. BTW, be careful with using LX since you're connecting between two switches and the distance is quite short. I remembered that you'll need a minimum of 500m when running LX (long haul) cause when you run with shorter distances, you might burn out the receptors. LX uses laser while SX uses LEDs. There is a "damper" that you can buy so that you can use SX with short distance. Just make sure that you won't look into the receptors especially the LX. It'll burn your eye ball out!!!!!