Views
Helpful
Replies

4507R - QoS Provisioning

nathan.deane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am hoping someon could shed some light on this question i have.

I have 2 x 4507R's with 1 x SUP-V-10GE and 1 x WS-X4424-GB-RJ45 in each.

i want to form a 4 Gbps Etherchannel between the two but combine the use of ports on the SUp-V-10GE and ports on the switch blade, i.e. 2 SX connections and 2 x 1000 Base T connections.

I know that this is possible when running IOS (which i am) but i have heard a few comments made about the different cards having different QoS provisioning, i.e differnet amount of queues etc..

coudl someone shed some light on this for me

Thanks

1 Reply 1

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

You can configure EtherChannel unconditionally (with channel mode on) through autonegotiation. When you configure through autonegotiation, the switch negotiates the channel with the far end. To do this, it uses the Cisco proprietary Port Aggregation Protocol (PAgP) (with the channel mode desirable command) or the IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregate Control Protocol (LACP) (with the channel mode active or channel mode passive commands). In this document, the EtherChannel configuration uses PAgP for autonegotiation.

All Catalyst switches running CatOS system software support PAgP. Catalyst 6500/6000 or 4500/4000 series switches running Cisco IOS System Software also support PAgP. The recommended mode to establish an EtherChannel between devices that support PAgP is desirable mode. PAgP protects against any improper configurations between the two devices. You can use channel mode on when the connecting device does not support PAgP and you need to set up the channel unconditionally. You can use the silent or non-silent keywords with auto and desirable channel modes. Catalyst 6500/6000 or 4500/4000 switches have the silent keyword enabled by default on all ports. The Catalyst 5500/5000 series switches have the silent keyword enabled by default on copper ports. For all fiber ports (FE and Gigabit Ethernet [GE]), the 5500/5000 switches have the non-silent keyword enabled by default. Use the default silent or non-silent keyword when you connect between Cisco switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a00800949c2.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: