Cisco Support Community
Community Member

4507R Supervisor module question

Hi everyone,

I am getting the following message when I try to configure the gig1/2 interface which is on Sup mod 1 of my 4507 switch.

router(config)#int gig1/2

% WARNING: Interface GigabitEthernet1/2 is usable/operational

% only when this is the only supervisor present.

Show mod is as follows:

Sing85-2Sw1#sh mod

Chassis Type : WS-C4507R

Power consumed by backplane : 40 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.

1 2 1000BaseX (GBIC) Supervisor(active) WS-X4515

2 2 1000BaseX (GBIC) Supervisor(standby) WS-X4515

I am novice to the way the Sup mods are set up and work. Does the warning mean 'if the active sup mod fails over to the standby I will have a problem'? In that case do I have to configure an interface in mod 2 same as mod 1 so that the setup works during failover? If the warning message means something else please explain.

Thanks in advance.

Cisco Employee

Re: 4507R Supervisor module question

Hi RB,

The two Gigabit Ethernet interfaces available with redundancy mode are the first Gigabit Ethernet ports on each supervisor. That is, only Gig 1/1 and Gig 2/1 are available. The other two ports, Gig 1/2 and Gig 2/2, are not available.

Unlike Cat6500 platform where all ports are active, the Cat4507R has redundancy on ports themselves,

meaning if you have two Supervisor IVs, it will only make ports 1/1 and 2/1 active and rest will be the failover ports in case active ones need to failover.

So, for an example, you have 1/1 and 2/1 active. If 1/1 would fail, then you will have 1/2 and 2/1

active. Below is the documentation on this.

4507 : Supervisor Engine Redundancy Guidelines and Restrictions:

CreatePlease to create content