cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

50/125 OM3 fiber with MGBSX1

jcorbett1
Level 1
Level 1

Does it make sense to use 50/125 OM3 fiber with Cisco MGBSX1 Transceivers?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry for not answering your questions in my first response.  OM2, 3 or 4 will work for the MGBSX1. However, with 10G prices coming down, you might want to invest in OM3 or OM4 in the event you upgrade to our SG500X products.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

brasakai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are talking about patch cables, then you don't need OM3.  Otherwise, if you are installing new fiber runs, I would go OM3, or higher ,in the event you migrate to 10G.

2 fiber runs of approximately 95m and 1 run of approximately 192m. It's safe to assume that the Cisco MGBSX1 transceivers aren't dependent upon OM2, OM3, or OM4? Any will work? 

Sorry for not answering your questions in my first response.  OM2, 3 or 4 will work for the MGBSX1. However, with 10G prices coming down, you might want to invest in OM3 or OM4 in the event you upgrade to our SG500X products.

Hi, I read is quite old topic, but I would like to see more clear on the module and the distance.

Did anybody test the MGBSX1 with OM3 fibre with distance over 500meters? We are in design phase, where existing 50/125 OM3 is used for some reason, but nobody knows the exact length. Yet. :(

I guess that fibre installation is somewhere 500 - 600 meters, but not documented and I have no access to measure with special meters.

Is there any result? over 500m is not supprted or does not even work ? I know that live test would be the perfect, but I do not want to pull an SM cable if MM is good enough.

Any answer is more than welcome.

Prior thanks.