cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

64 MB internal flash upgrade on 3662

jmorgan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3662 Router with 256 Megs of DRAM. I have upgraded from 32 MB internal flash to 64 MB internal flash. When using rommon to load the IOS I get the following error:

rommon 1 > xmodem -y c3660-jk9o3s-mz.124-2.T1.bin

Do not start the sending program yet...

device does not contain a valid magic number

dir: cannot open device "flash:"

WARNING: All existing data in flash will be lost!

Invoke this application only for disaster recovery.

Do you wish to continue? y/n [n]: y

Ready to receive file c3660-jk9o3s-mz.124-2.T1.bin ...

Erasing flash at 0x30000000sector erase failed at location 0x30000000, status 0x

flash sector will NOT erase...aborting

I can successfully load the image using rommon with the "xmodem -y -r" option to load the image to DRAM and use the memory resident IOS do a "copy tftp flash:".

Do I need to upgrade the rommon chip in order to load the IOS straight to flash. If so what part number do I need to use?

Version information from rommon is as follows:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C3660 processor with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

1 Reply 1

s.jankowski
Level 4
Level 4

Verify that the configuration register value is correct. The last digit should be a 2 for loading IOS from flash. You can check this by issuing the show version command . If the value is not correct, restore a valid value and reload the router.

If not, u can maually set the config register value using

(config)# config-register 0x 2102 // its a hexavalue which defaults to load image from flash memory.

also, set the cmd in (config)# boot system flash [flash-fs:][partition-number:][filename]

On the Cisco 1600 series, Cisco 3600 series, and Cisco 7000 family routers, this keyword boots the router from a Flash device, as specified by the device: argument. On the Cisco 1600 series and Cisco 3600 series routers, if you omit all optional arguments, the router searches internal Flash memory for the first bootable image