Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 ( 6509/6513) IOS upgrade?

nhuan022354
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

It will be my first time to do the IOS upgrade.

All 6509s with 2 of sup720 running sw 12.2(18)SXD6 in redundant mode.

All 6513s with 2 of sup720 running sw 12.2(17a).SX4 in redundant mode.

I have read Instructions on:

1. Release Notes for Cisco IOS release 12.2SX on Sup 720

2.Upgrading Software images on Catalyst 6000/6500 ( section running Cisco IOS )

3. How to upgrade Software images on Catalyst Switch Layer 3 Modules ( section CAT 6500 MSFC )

Question?

1. I know the MSFC is part of the SUP720 ( also PFC )but which images is upgraded. The one on MSFC or the one on SUP720? I confused after reading all the guides, big headache.

2. How to upgrade the individual blades on the 6500, ex. NAM-2 , IDS, CMM

Thanks a bunch for helping to clear my mind.

Leo Le

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

CatOS on the Supervisor Engine and Cisco IOS Software on the MSFC (Hybrid): a CatOS image can be used as the system software to run the Supervisor Engine on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches. If the optional MSFC is installed, a separate Cisco IOS Software image is used to run the MSFC.

Cisco IOS Software on both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC (Native): a single Cisco IOS Software image can be used as the system software to run both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches.

It's improtant to note the above to answer your first question. Having explained the difference between the hybrid and Native mode, I would assume that you are running a Native mode in which case the image that the switch is currently running if it will fit in the bootflash will be in the SP's bootflash:, this is what you upgrade. The only time you will upgrade what ever is in the RP's bootflash is when you are running Hybrid mode.

Question 2:

This link documets installation, configuration and upgrade on each of the service module available for Cat6K:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/mod_icn/index.htm

Please rate all posts.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

CatOS on the Supervisor Engine and Cisco IOS Software on the MSFC (Hybrid): a CatOS image can be used as the system software to run the Supervisor Engine on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches. If the optional MSFC is installed, a separate Cisco IOS Software image is used to run the MSFC.

Cisco IOS Software on both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC (Native): a single Cisco IOS Software image can be used as the system software to run both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches.

It's improtant to note the above to answer your first question. Having explained the difference between the hybrid and Native mode, I would assume that you are running a Native mode in which case the image that the switch is currently running if it will fit in the bootflash will be in the SP's bootflash:, this is what you upgrade. The only time you will upgrade what ever is in the RP's bootflash is when you are running Hybrid mode.

Question 2:

This link documets installation, configuration and upgrade on each of the service module available for Cat6K:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/mod_icn/index.htm

Please rate all posts.