Views
Helpful
Replies

6500-config propgation

roadhouse1387
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I needed to configure a gig port on a 6516A 16 port gig blade for egress strict priority queuing yesterday. The switch is a 6509-E with a sup 720 running IOS ver 12.2(17d)SXB8

When I configured the port with the 'priority-queue out' interface command, the switch applied the command then brought up a message saying something like (dont have the exact wording, sorry) 'propogating configuration to ports.....' then gave a list of ports on the box.

It applied the same priority-queue out command to a selection of ports on the blade.

I then issued a 'no' version of the same command and it removed the command from all the ports it had just applied it to, with the same message.

Can anyone explaint this ? I have never seen this behaviour in a cat6500 before.

If its normall, how can I apply the config to individual ports only ?

Many Thanks

Shaun

2 Replies 2

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

priority-queue out is not a supported command on this platform. I suppose you are trying to do this to ensure that certain packets go to the highest priority queue to give highest quality of service. Therefore, I am including a link on QoS on PFC:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/qos.htm#wp1750910

Go through the section titled "Prioritizing Traffic on Interswitch Links".

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks for that Bosalaza, Thats correct, its for prioritising voice across a dot1q trunk.

That link is very usefull and all looks as I would expect, I suppose my question now is ..

On 6500's, when you enable Qos globaly and on those blades which support strict priority queuing, is queue 4 automatically defined as the Strict Priority Egress queue (i.e. no config required) as opposed to something like a 3750, where all queues are standard WRR queues until you enable the SPQ with the 'Priority-queue out' interface command, at which point queue 1 (on a 3750) becomes the SPQ ?

Thanks For the help.

Cheers

Shaun