cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 IOS Upgrade

Peace723
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upgrade the IOS on a 6500 with dual sup720/msfc3/pfc3. However I do not have enough space on sup-bootflash or slavesup-bootflash to fit the new image. If I delete the existing images on sup-bootflash and slavesup-bootflash that were used when the router booted and issue the squeeze command before I upload the new image on the sup-bootflash and slavesup-bootflash, will that cause my router to crash? Below is the procedure I plan to use. Please let me know if this is correct. Thanks.

1)Delete old image on sup-bootflash to make room for new IOS

-delete sup-bootflash: s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-17d.SXB2.bin

-squeeze bootflash:

-delete slavesup-bootflash: s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-17d.SXB2.bin

squeeze slavesup-bootflash:

2)Upload new image to sup-bootflash and slavesup-bootflash

-copy tftp sup-bootflash:

-copy tftp slavesup-bootflash:

3)Update boot statements to point to new image on sup-bootflash and slave-bootflash

-no boot system flash supbootflash:s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-17d.SXB2.bin

-boot system flash sup-bootflash: s72033-pk9sv-mz.12.2-17d.SXB11.bin

-boot system flash slavesup-bootflash: s72033-pk9sv-mz.12.2-17d.SXB11.bin

Will this procedure cause the router to fail if I delete the images that were used to boot?

2 Replies 2

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

No it will not result in router boot.

But you need to very cautious in uploading the new image cause if you delete the old image and you are trying to copy a new image on sup-bootflash and by any chance you router gets rebooted due to power problem or any other problem you will move to rommon.

SO just be cautious when you are upgrading new image and make sure you have UPS so that incase power goes down your switch is still up.

Also if you have compact flash it will be better to load the new image on it and keep it as backup.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Removing an image from the bootflash, sup-bootflash or disk0: will not cause the switch to reload, reset nor crash. However, this is a very risky proposition. If the switch is accidentally reloaded rebooted or if the download corrupted the image somehow, you will be left with a sup with no image with the only way to recover if you do not have a flash card is to do xmodem. with the size of an image available for this platform, doing an xmodem will take you forever and might require several tries. I were you, I would look around for any CF that I can use to upgrade the switch. M

That's my .02 cents.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: