Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6500 Mixed Media Line Cards

Hi, I am currently budgeting an upgrade to my exsisting network, and was hoping someone would help me with price vs. performance comparisons. I am going to have 8 4510R distro switching uplinking to my 6509 Core switches. I was trying to evaluate what gig line card I should purchase to install in the core switches (cost for this project is a factor). Does anyone know the pirce comparison between a 24 port SFP Gig line card, compared to a 16 port GBIC line card. Currently the design only calls for 16 ports for the uplinks, but if it cost effective to purchase a 24 port SFP card, I can use etherchannel for higher traffic floors. Thanks for the help.

1 REPLY

Re: 6500 Mixed Media Line Cards

Hi Ryan,

The cost of 16 port GBIC and the 24 SFP module is exactly the same. I would suggest you to go for 6724 SFP module in the 6509.

Why 4510R has been chosen at the distro. is it only for the high backplane capacity with Sup-v-10 GE. I would suggest to go for 4507 R using Sup-2+ 10 GE, if you are looking for 10 GE in future and you dont need full L3 capability at distri.

Please let me know if you have any other requirement, I can design the solution for you.

HTH, please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content