cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 msfc2 bootflash upgrade

pblower
Level 1
Level 1

Since the bootldr must be on the MSFC2 bootflash in order to boot the IOS (from bootflash or sup-slot0) does the new 32 Meg bootflash come with a pre-installed bootldr image?

I was hoping to boot the MSFC2 from sup-slot0, copy the new image to the bootflash, change my boot variable, and then boot the IOS from the new bootflash.

But this goes out the window if I can't boot the MSFC2 if there is no bootldr on the new bootflash.

In a system where you have redundant supervisors (which have to be identical), what will happen if I upgrade the msfc2 to 32 while the other remains at 16Megs. Do things break or will it operate so that I can then remove the second supervisor to upgrade it?

1 Reply 1

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I believe the bootflash does come with an image on it. Hence you should be able to boot it with it, and then TFTP whatever you want. You can have redundant MSFCs with different amount of Bootflash. This will not cause any issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: