Cisco Support Community
Community Member

6500 redundancy question

In a 6500 with 2 supervisors and msfc in hybrid mood ... I was doing upgrades and tests this evening (customer request) and plugged out the primary active sup from slot 1.

At the same time I had a ping going (from 2 pc's, 1 on vlan 1 and another on a differnet vlan) to the IP address of the supervisor, after I pulled out the supervisor in slot 1 I lost 1 ping ... but 6 seconds or so later I lost abt another 15 pings before it finally stablized.

High Availability feature is enabled on the supervisors ... the supervsior in slot2 is in standby incase supervisor 1 fails and both supervisors have active router msfc's operating at the same time unlike native ios ... I don't wanna make the hybrid mode msfc's act as a single router mode.

After disconnecting supervisor from slot1, I understand why it lost say 1 ping as it takes abt 3 seconds to fail over to supervisor in slot2 ... but why after say 6 or so seconds did I loose 15 pings ? ... all I can logically think that caused it was the msfc's ... when I pulled the supervisor from slot1 I lost the active msfc as it was the hsrp master ... but my pc that was doing the ping was on vlan 1 and didn't require to be routed by the msfc.

There is only one 6500 switch and there are no gigabit connection on either of the supervisor gigabit ports ... so I can't see there be a STP reason for this 15 ping glitch.

I'm curious has anybody else done similar tests and noticed any funnies ?

Also, anybody got any thoughts on running native over hybrid for the 6500's ... performace issues etc ... if running hybrid becuase u can have both msfc's active at one time u could load share using hsrp ... I can't find much on CCO abt the differences other than hardware module support etc

Re: 6500 redundancy question

Apart from the hardware requirements, I find couple of more links here on redundancy. Check if it helps you.

Community Member

Re: 6500 redundancy question

I'm not sure about how Hybrid handles dual Sup's and MSFC's but I have tested the Native version. We have 2 6509's with dual SupII's/MSFCII's. In Native during bootup, control is passed to the route processor. The second Sup/MSFC in the same switch stays in standby mode. You can use all 4 GIG ports on the Sup's to create an ETHERTRUNK to the other switch even though the second Sup's are in standby.

Now, here is the upside for me:

- 1 config to save for each switch.

- Multiple configs to save and keep up with.

- If the active Sup/MSFC fails or is pulled, power to the entire 6509 is cycled, yes, power is lost. That means all modules are without power anywhwere from 30-90 seconds depending on how you configure the recovery (sorry, don't have information on this at this second). The second Sup/MSFC boots up, takes control, and then everything is back up. The plus is that the config from the failed Sup/MSFC was always saved to the second one from the last WR MEM or COPY RUN START.

- Another disadvantage is that you will have to learn new switch commands and the concepts of how Native handles layer 2 configuration.

Hope this helps.

Mike Goodman

CreatePlease to create content