Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

6500 running in native - which memory is used? SUP or MSFC?

Hi,

I have looked at memory requirments for IOS images.

When minimum DRAM and flash requirments are listed, which memory is this? Because the switch in running in native IOS it could be either?

I'm fairly sure that the flash is use id the Supervisor flash, but I'm not sure about the DRAM.

Does anyone know??

Thanks,

Dave

3 REPLIES

Re: 6500 running in native - which memory is used? SUP or MSFC?

It's the DRAM and flash on the Sup not the MSFC, when in native mode.

Purple

The IOS is loaded from Supervisor bootflash or slot0: if you have a card . The DRAM requirement is msfc DRAM i believe . If you have ever watched one of these boot they really haven't changed from native , first they boot the layer 2 side then it turns over control to the msfc which then loads the layer 3 info .

Cisco Employee

Depending on if you are dealing with 12.1E or 12.2S code, there are different requirements.

For example, for the sup2:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/ol_4164.htm#wp2561255

256MB is required for both the supervisor and the MSFC2 if running 12.2S code.

For 12.1E code on the sup2:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/12_1e/ol_2310.htm#wp1408120

128MB is recommended for the sup and 256MB for the MSFC2

Specific requirements for the other sups are also documented in the Release-notes. If you are going to have a large number of routes on the switch, it's recommended to have the same amount of memory on the supervisor and the MSFC as both processors keep their own copy of the FIB table in their local memory. Memory recommendations for various thresholds of route table sizes are also documented in the release notes.

HTH,

Bobby

Views
Helpful
Replies