cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 slot0:

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

I have 12 6500's that I need to upgrade the IOS on. I have done this hundreds of times. All twelve do not recognize slot0 when I am in the MSFC. In the supervisor, I can do a dir slot0: and see the images. I session over to the MSFC and do a dir slot0: and it does not recognize the device. I thought it was a fluke until all 12 did the same thing. Did I have a brain cramp, is their some sort of command to enable/disable slot0: in the MSFC.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

You were never able to do dir slot0: from MSFC except ofcourse you running native ios and you can do a dir sup-slot0:

you can load a file from slot0: (use sup-slot0: in your boot system commad) though

Use the latest boothelper image as they are known issues which prevents loading of IOS from slot0:

boothelper still needs to be there in the bootflash on the MSFC.

I thought for sure I was able to use it before, but then again I have workded mostly with native ios on 6500's. So honestly I am not crazy, there is no waty to copy an image from the bootflash to slot0? I was trying to copy the images off of the MSFC onto the PCMCIA card. The 6500's did not have any fast ethernet blades, so I could no use tftp.

Guess what, there is a way to do it.

Make the msfc a tftp server and then go to sup and download the file from the msfc (TFTP server) to slot0:

to make msfc tftp server, you need to use tftp server configuration command.

;)

If you want to copy the config to the slot0 on the active sup, you can run the following command

"copy run sup-slot0:"

That means that you can copy from the slot0 on the active sup to the MSFC also.

"copy sup-slot0:MSFC-ACTIVE-CONFIG start"

This is on a non-native IOS Cat 6500.

I hope this helps with your upgrade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: