Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

6500 switch config

I am working on a project that requires high-availability and failover protection. I just finished reading the white paper on high availability and have some design questions.

1. In a mission critical scenario, where high-availability is required, is it better to have two 6500 switches, even though the required throughput will be low (>1.5Mb/sec), to start with, or can a single 6500 with dual supervisor modules and dual fabric-enabled 10/100 switch ports be a better starting point? Question boils down to what is the MTBF for an entire 6500 (specifically, the 6506), running dual-power supplies, dual supervisor modules, and dual Ethernet cards? Are there any specifications for failure of all components on a 6500? What about the backplanes? Can they all fail at once, or if one fails, do the other two (I believe that the documents indicated that there were three separate backplanes, but I maybe mistaken), pick up the load, at a reduced speed? Would it be better, remembering that money is always at issue, to have two 6506s both with dual supervisor cards, connected in a redundant uplink model (student guide, chapter 1, page 1-16).

2. If I am not running VLANs, just wanting to switch from a host to a router, for example, on the same network, do I need an MSFC? If I want faster performance (15 - 30Mpps), then I need the MSFC, or did I misunderstand the hardware configuration? Can you use an SFM without an MSFC to increase backplane bandwidth? or, is the MSFC required?

I appreciate the help and assistance with getting some answers to these questions. All a new area to me.

Thanks very much,

Mike

1 REPLY

Re: 6500 switch config

Since there has been no response to your post, it appears to be either too complex or too rare an issue for other forum members to assist you, or there is no public information available at this time. If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to review our resources at the online http://www.cisco.com/go/solutions. You may also contact our product information line at 1-800-553-NETS or a Cisco Systems Engineer at your local Cisco office or reseller. To locate your local Cisco representative, visit http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/687/Directory.shtml

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content