cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 configuration for ip phone

stephen.wilcox
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currenting researching softphone implementation on a 6509, My understanding is that QoS for softphones is chosen at lyr 3 with ipprec or dscp. This is fine for segment/segment communication. What about interswitch/same vlan communication? The switch has no way to assign ToS sence the packet never leave lyr 2 and CoS is only defines with hardphones and the uses of ext-untrust. Does the softphone application define CoS? If so How? and Is it configurable? or Can the 6509 configure CoS for lyr 2 port for softphone?

1 Reply 1

david_genton
Level 1
Level 1

Use this URL it describes the scenarios above. I am working on the same issue here and basically the switch has it's own qos marking that it uses internally and trust and the default acl decides what that will be. The layer 2 CoS to layer 3 ToS is done automatically from this, read on for it to be clearer but feel free to continue the conversation with me as I am working on a QoS strategy corporate wide for just the same thing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk543/tk762/technologies_white_paper09186a00800b0828.shtml