Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

6509 conversion from CatOS to IOS

I am interested in hearing from those who have converted from CatOS to IOS using 6500 as primarily a LAN switch with InterVLAN routing. Are there valid reasons / advantages to running IOS over CatOS? It seems to me that the CatOS is more efficient language for configuring switch ports and the IOS is better for configuring routing. I use 6509 in the core for server farms mostly and with the integration of many IOS based switches (3750) I am considering migrating the 6509 to IOS as well.

Thanks,

Greg

2 REPLIES

Re: 6509 conversion from CatOS to IOS

Greg,

Cisco may support CATOS for a while, but I do think that they may end of life it in the future. Thats why there is a big push on the IOS over CATOS.

I feel that the IOS is equally efficient in configuring switch ports as CATOS. You can use interface range commands to configure common parameters to a range of switch ports. And the great thing about configuring switchports in IOS is that it will have the same syntax like your 3750 switches.

Here is a link that compares commands on both switches which will help a lot after migration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008010e9d5.shtml

Sankar

PS: please rate helpful posts!

Re: 6509 conversion from CatOS to IOS

Cisco has been trying to move all of their switches to IOS or some time. Will they kill the CatOS in the near future? Not likely, there is too large of an installed base.

I agree with you that the CatOS is more efficient at configuring switches than the IOS. In my experience the CatOS is also more stable than the IOS on switches.

I tend to recommend the IOS for Sup720 and CatOS on Sup 1 and Sup 2 when stability is more critical than latest features. But really, it is a personal decision at this point in time.

-Mark

Views
Helpful
Replies