Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 crashed after inserting giga module in 6th slot

sivakondalarao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I wanted to know the reason for 6509 crash after inserting gigabit module in 6th slot.

I will explain step by step:

1 In our 6509 switch slot 6 is free. Supervisor 720 is in 5th slot.

2 We required extra gigabit ports for that we inserted gigabit module while switch is running.

3 After inserting the module switch rebooted. It is happening again and again with some error messages.

4 We don't have sufficient down time for troubleshooting. So we removed the module, then switch rebooted and working fine.

5 Now we have to submit Root Cause Analysis to the company management people.

6 I have gone through console messages during change and also tech-support file. But it is showing error message "module not inserted properly" although we properly inserted.

7 Can someone provide all the reasons for switch crash when module is inserted online.

8 I have few other doubts:

A Is there any different procedure to install line modules in supervisor slots?

B Switch is having previously removed linecard (i.e, fastethernet module)in running configuration. Will it create any system crash?

I am attaching tech-support file and console capture during change for your information.

Regards

SKRAO

2 Replies 2

Hello,

your output does not show anything in slot 6, what module (type/name) are you actually trying to install ?

GP

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

What kind of line card was being inserted in slot 6? Have you tried other slots? The crash file in the RP says it was reset by SP, so the important crashinfo file would be in the sup-bootflash: Try an see if you find any "dir sup-bootflash:"

Aug 5 17:46:11: %C6K_PLATFORM-2-PEER_RESET: RP is being reset by the SP

%Software-forced reload

To answer your question:

A Is there any different procedure to install line modules in supervisor slots?

>>No there are no special configuration you need to do when inserting a line card in slots that normally would be for supervisor.

B Switch is having previously removed linecard (i.e, fastethernet module)in running configuration. Will it create any system crash?

>>No, it will not cause the switch to crash, when you see the configuration of a line card even after it was removed is quite normal, it's cold module provisionsing, you would not want to keep putting in a configuration for any line card after just resetaing them do you?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: