Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 external flash

raju
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We have 6509 MLS on our campus Network which is running for past 1 years and it has external flash card (PCMCIA ) in the Slot 1 . Very recently , we have bought second 6509 for Redundancy which does not have external flash ( PCMCIA card ) means it has only internal flash . As per vendor comments , external flash is not mandatory to configure and bring the 6509 up and running . Is it true ?.

My second Question is , we want to try some commands in redundant 6509 in offline and how to clear all the configuration before we move this new 6509 to production environment (live Network) ?.

Thanks with regards,

Raju

7 Replies 7

badamson
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Yes, the 6500 will operate without a PCMCIA flash card. This card can be used to store new IOS/CatOS images, configuration files, etc. but the internal flash is still available for this purpose.

The command you are looking for is "clear config all" assuming CatOS. If it is running native IOS or if you are talking about a routing engine such as a MSFC, then you would issue "erase startup-config".

FYI, before plugging the switch back into the production network, make sure you validate the VTP settings so that you don't blow any VLAN configurations away on accident.

Bob

Thanks Bob. It has Routing engine (MSFC card) and I would like to know the command on Switch side to clear all the Vlan's created , VTP domain info and clearing Management IP etc. .. and command Router side clearing IP addresses for all interfaces (Virtual) corresponding to Vlan's on New 6509 .

These commands should make sure that 6500 will be in factory settings when we move this to live Network and we will start configure this new Switch as Redundancy for existing 6509 in co ordination with Vendor.

Thanks again for your reply.

Raju.

OK, on the MSFC, a simple "erase startup-config " or "write erase" will clear out the config in nvram for the IOS.

The switch can be a little different. First, erase the configuration on the switch by using "clear config all". This should erase all of the configuration settings including VLANs and VTP information. However, if you are using VTP in your network in any mode other than transparent you will want to verify that these settings are gone and that the current VTP config revision is zero.

Here is a list of commands that can help with this:

show config system

show vtp domain

This will show you what your current VTP domain are as well as what the config revision is.

set vtp domain "domain name"

set vtp mode "client/server/transparent/off"

The important things to remember are that you have to be a server or in transparent mode to add and remove VLANs and that to reset the config revision you have to change your VTP domain to something else, and then back to whatever your normally use. Always check the VTP config revision before plugging a switch into your network. I had a colleague wipe out all of the VLANs for a large hospital while plugging in a 2900 one time.

Hello badamson,

I tried few commands on Switch side and Router side as well in 6509 . I used "write erase " to clear the config on Router side . After rebooting Switch , if I go to Router (session 15) it gives the prompt like "Router (boot) > " and I went to enable mode and the prompt comes like Router(boot)# . I changed the Router hostname to " test " and it appears Test (boot)# . I feel there is some boot registry got changed . Would you advise me what went wrong and what's the remedy ?. Of course , this 6509 is offline and we will plug in to live next week as redundancy for our existing 6509 .

Thanks

Raju.

Seems like when you did write erase, your boot variable was gone..

Please setup the boot variable and save the config and reload it.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/124.html#topic3

Thanks for your reply . I've checked the configuration on MSFC side and pasted for your view . Now , what should I do ?.

Console> (enable) session 15

Trying Router-15...

Connected to Router-15.

Escape character is '^]'.

ROUTER(boot)>ena

ROUTER(boot)#sh boot

BOOT variable =

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x2102

ROUTER(boot)#dir

Directory of bootflash:/

1 -rw- 1693168 Dec 16 2002 08:45:49 c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-8a.EX

2 -rw- 11285124 Dec 16 2002 08:46:01 c6msfc2-psv-mz.121-11b.E4.bin

31981568 bytes total (19003020 bytes free)

ROUTER(boot)#sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 218 bytes

!

version 12.1

no service pad

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

service password-encryption

!

hostname ROUTER

!

!

ip subnet-zero

!

!

!

ip http server

!

line con 0

line vty 0 4

login

!

end

-

Router#boot>en

#conf t

boot system bootflash:c6msfc2-psv-mz.121-11b.E4.bin

end

wr

when you do a sh bootvar now it should be modified to boot the above image.

now reload and it should run IOS again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: