cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 in ROMMON mode

Ahmede
Level 1
Level 1

We have new 6509 with single a Sup720. The switch was working fine, but now for some reason whenever we shut down the power and turn it on again it goes to ROMMON (rommon) directly without any errors

System Bootstrap, Version 8.1(3)

Copyright (c) 1994-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Cat6k-Sup720/SP processor with 1048576 Kbytes of main memory

rommon 1 >

If I issue the command "boot disk0:", the machine loads fine..

I checked the configuration to make sure we have the command

boot system flash disk0: (I tried with and without the IOS file name)

And I also checked the config register (I think was 2102) which matches the other switch we have..

What could be the problem?

7 Replies 7

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Could you post the output of 'dir disk0:' and the actual 'boot system' command you have been using ?

Paresh

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

Somehow I think that the boot statement which you are giving is not matching the exact name of the file which is in disk0: will result the switch going into rommon.

Make sure you enter the exact file name with its extension like .bin and reload the box and see if it still goes into rommon or not.

Regards,

Ankur

Thanks for yor responses..

Three points,

1) It was working before and we did not change any config

2) If the file name is incorrect, I'd get an error message

3) The other switch and another seven 7600 routers are all working fine with just the command

"boot system flash disk0:" without specifying the file name

Hi Friend,

It will not give any error message even if you specify a wring file name.

Not sure why it started happened suddenly. can you check the number of files in disk0: or if possible can you paste the output from dir disk0: as i doubt that there are more than 1 file in your disk0:

Regards,

Ankur

Thank you again, I'm sorry but I'm away from the switch so I won't be able to post any output from it.. But I can assure you that there's only single file in disk0:,

Again when the switch goes into the rommon mode, just entering the command "boot disk0:" without specifying the file name, will make the switch boots using the IOS on disk0

Hi,

I had the same problem some time ago. Check the set command in rommon and compare it to show boot. In my case I had a incorect image pointed in set, but boot it with command "boot disk0:iso.bin" and in IOS did boot system flash disk0:iso.bin and save it with copy system:running nvram:start and worked after all.

Concentrate on booting configuration. I am sure it is nothing wrong with iso file and supervisor error.

Please let know how the situation end up.

Regards:

Michal

At the rommmon prompt type "confreg". A small menu will come up and ask if you want to change the configuration. Answer "yes" then accept whatever it offers until you see the prompt "change the boot characteristics", answer "yes" here and change the boot option to "2", its probably set to zero at the moment. Answer no to change the configuration again, type sync at the prompt and then type reset. You need to do this on both supervisors. How did this come about? I suspect during an IOS upgrade you had incompatible IOS versions with RPR,RPR+ HA or SSO on and the active blade clobbered the standby config as it was booting to prevent a percieved mismatch problem.

Follow this link for the confreg command info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00802debd0.html#wp1025193

Brian

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: