Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

6509 issues - intervlan switch management

Okay, so we did a recovery on our 6509 last night which appeared to go well. I currently have 10 vlans on the 6509 all with seperate dist switches on each subnet...Now traffic across all subnets work fine except I no longer seem to be able to access my switch IPs anymore. Unless I am local to that subnet.

We did reboot the 6509 several times but none of the subnet switches were touched.

I tested one switch by rebooting and it appeared to fix the problem. Possible Arp cache problem ? Any thoughts ? I can reboot them all tonight but would like to know the cause..From the active MSFC I can ping all switch IPs, but not from the 6509 switch console.

5 REPLIES

Re: 6509 issues - intervlan switch management

Is the management VLAN and the user VLAN on the distribution switch the same? Is the port between the 6509 and distribution switch configured as an access or trunk port?

Sundar

Community Member

Each floor is a Vlan which has a 3548 on it. The 3548 is trunked back to the 6509 via fiber and yes the uplink ports on the 6509 are trunked (isl).

The management IP of each 3548 is in the local subnet of the floor vlan..Ex.10.1.3.0 /24 is vlan 3 and the switch IP is 10.1.3.2. The trunk links back to the 6509 are working fine as all users per floor have connectivity out of their vlan. So each 3548 appears to be switching fine.

Thanks

Dave

Community Member

A bit more info...It appears that I have 2 floors working as far as switch management however when I look at their arp cache for their default gateway, the MAC is of router 16 on the slot2 MSFC which should be in standby. All the other vlan switches that dont work, have the MAC of the Slot 1 MSFC.

Cheers

Dave

Your default gateway on the 3500 switches should be pointing to the 'standby ip' address. is this what you have?

Another question, is MSFC in slot2 the active HSRP router for the VLANs at this point of time?

Sundar

Community Member

No, all of my switchs DG point to the vlan IP of the 6509 gateway. Before the recovery the 6509 was not operating in HSRP, slot 2 was in inactive mode and slot 1 was handling all switching and routing

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content