cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 & MSFC Redundancy

marshall.kahn
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 with two supervisor engines each with a MSFC. The documentation states that the boot image and the configuration will automatically be synchronized. The boot image did synchronize as advertised for the supervisor module. However the config files on the supervisor modules and msfc modules did not. Also the boot images on the MSFC modules did not sycnronize. How can I correct this?

9 Replies 9

ahorrigan
Level 1
Level 1

How is the redundancy configured in this chassis? Are the MSFCs running as an HSRP pair, or are you using SRM (Single Router Mode) redundancy?

No matter what the MSFC redundancy, image synchronisation does not occur. With SRM on the MSFCs configuration sync does occur.

As for the supervisors the config should sync automatically as well as the image.

Are you running a Hybrid scenario or Native IOS on both MSFC and Sup?

I understand what's happening on the MSFC modules. I am not running HSRP. I will be running SRM which will sync the images but not the configs?

As for the supervisors the congfig SHOULD sync automatically but has not. I'm running IOS on the MSFC and the Catalyst OS on the supervisor modules. I'm not sure if that's hybrid or Native.

We went through this exact process about a month ago. There is a very good document for doing this found here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_7_2/confg_gd/redund.pdf

basically turning on high availability mode for the switch and enable versioning to sync the images

and then on each msfc

redundancy

high-availability

single-router-mode

you must have the same ios image for both msfc's

Good Luck

No the MSFC IOS image will not syncrhonize by itslef no matter what redundancy you implement. If you CAT OS on the Sup and IOS on the MSFC, then your's is a hybrid system

I have the supervisor running high availability and the MSFC running SRM. The MSFC modules are synchronized (bootflash: and configs). I accomplished using a tftp server and then enabling SRM redundancy. However on the supervisor modules the bootflash: is synchronized but not the configs. I know the Cisco documentation states this should happen automagically, but has not. Any suggestions for correcting this bug/problem?

Firstly, how have you confirmed that configs are not syncing? Have you booted with just redundant sup in or forced switchover?

Can you also confirm the exact CatOS version please.

One way I would attempt to rectify this is to try the following:-

Remove primary sup to force switchover, then do a clear config all on the redundant. Then reboot the switch with just the primary in and insert the blank redundant once the chassis is up. See if the config is transferred.

Obviously, back up your configs first :)

I did force a switchover and the config did move to the redundant supervisor, but when I do show config 2 there is no config. I guess it does work but there is no way to confirm the config on the redundant supervisor unless there is a switchover.

Doing a SHOW CONFIG 2 will only show you non-default configuration applied to the Gigabit ports on the second supervisor. If you do a SHOW CONFIG 2 ALL you should see the config associated with module.

N.B. - This will not show you any of the config for the rest of the switch. As far as I am aware you can only ever see the active sups config and have to rely on the sync process.

Doing a SHOW CONFIG 2 will only show you non-default configuration applied to the Gigabit ports on the second supervisor. If you do a SHOW CONFIG 2 ALL you should see the config associated with module.

N.B. - This will not show you any of the config for the rest of the switch. As far as I am aware you can only ever see the active sups config and have to rely on the sync process.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: