Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

6509 not reporting link status events

Hi

I am looking some help with an issue we presently have with our 6509's Just wondering whether anyone else had the same problems...

We have a WS-X6148A-GE-TX and WS-X6348-RJ45 card installed in different switches. Both are installed in slot 4 but they don't report any link state changes to the syslog or logs. The 6509 is running CatOS 8.3. Have seen on switches running native, that there is an option on the interfaces to allow "logging event link-status" is there an option for this in CatOS or is this a feature.

But we also have some WS-X6148-RJ45 which were the previous version to the WS-X6348-RJ45 and these are working ok without any problems and events can be seen in the logs...

Thanks in advance..

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: 6509 not reporting link status events

Hi Simon,

If you look at "show logging" from your switch

you may see ETHC set to level 2. see example:

Console> (enable) sh logging

[some output snipped]

Facility Default Severity Current Session Severity

------------- ----------------------- ------------------------

cdp 4 4

dtp 5 5

dvlan 2 2

earl 2 2

ethc 2 2 <----------

If that is the case, then you are hitting a known bug, CSCin65294.

Can you please try entering the command:

"set logging level ethc 5 default"

To test it after that you can plug a PC and unplug it to the switch and you should see the

following messages in the buffer:

%ETHC-5-PORTFROMSTP:Port x/x joined bridge port x/x

%ETHC-5-PORTFROMSTP:Port x/x left bridge port x/x

HTH,

Bobby

Please rate if helpful!

Purple

Make sure you have port traps turned on for all your ports . On catos it is "set port trap slot/port enable . If these are new cards I think the default is disabled .

Thanks for the updates, and I have checked the switches and they do have the commands meantioned configured on them, and the correct level in the logs. But we are still not receiveing any event status changes.

Any other ideas???

Thanks in advance

I have managed to solve the problem, it seems the card were removed and when reinserted didn't have the following command configured on them...

set port trap enable

Even though they were working a few weeks ago.. before the move of the blades.

Problem resolved

Thanks to everyone for help on this issue.

Views
Helpful
Replies