Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

6509 port assignments

I have a 48 port 10/100 switch blade which is scheduled to be replaced due to the 3rd segment (ports 25-36) failure. Unfortunately the port names were not assigned when connected and I need to identify what is connected to ports 1-48 to schedule server outages (ports 25-36 have already been moved to available ports on another blade). I am checking to see if there is any way to identify active ports on the 6509.

In the past, on an as-needed basis, I have been relabeling ports only after matching the TCP/IP address(es) to MAC address(es) and then cross-referencing the CAM tables to identify what port(s) servers were connected to. This doesn't help me in this situation, if I could list either the TCP/IP address or MAC address for ports 1-48, then I can cross-reference that against my server TCP/IP listing and identify (and label) which servers are connected to which ports.

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: 6509 port assignments

Unfortunately the switch is a layer 2 device and has no visibility as to what is connected at the IP layer. Your method of using the CAM table and matching the MAC address with the IP address is the only way.

Re: 6509 port assignments

That's what I was afraid of...a little leg work never hurt anyone. Curious, layer 2 device, is this the same reason why switch(s) do not respond to icmp requests (i.e. tracert, pathping (w2k))?

Views
Helpful
Replies