Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 running Native IOS drops to rommon prompt

sldozier
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone seen an issue with 6509's dropping to the rommon prompt if,

you're connected to the console port and shutdown and powerup a laptop or desktop? I've reproduced this phenomenon on 4 seperate 6509's running native IOS, "121-11b.E4 Enterprise code"!

5 Replies 5

bflanary
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen this several times..although not common. I have found that the times I have seen this, it has been with terminal emulators other than Hyperterm or Procomm Plus...

Also the times that I have seen this were NOT specific to Cat 6500's.

Try using a standard cable/adaptor setup using Hyperterm.

I'm using Hyperterm Private Edition ver 6.3 and the standard console cable kit that ships with Cisco gear!

I've also performed the same test on Cat4K running 6.3(5) CatOS and it does not drop to the rommon prompt.

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What operating system and what terminal software do you use? Also what's the config-register set to? Try setting it to 0x2102. Test again and if you still have the same issue, paste the output of sh bootvar

Opearting System: Win2K

Terminal Software: Hyperterm Private Edition ver 6.3

Config was set to 0x2.

Will change to 0x2102 tonight and test.

If problem still exist, will capture output of sh bootvar and paste in the a.m. EDT.

Preliminary testing indicates setting the config-reg to 0x2102 alleviates the problem. I will perform additional testing tomorrow and post the results!

Thanks for the info!