Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Sup swap failover time

shah.chintan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm having MLS 6509 with Sup2/MSFC2 and running either 12.1(23)E1 and 12.1(26)E1.

IF i do sup swap using "reducancy force switchover" all line card interface goes down and even ospf also goes down and then come back and that create outage for me.

Can any body tell me is it expected behaviour ? and if yes, what is taken over time inlclduing making interface and all routing process up.

Rgds

Chintan

6 Replies 6

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Chintan

I think the best way to avoid this is configuring NSF with SSO Supervisor Engine Redundancy:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008027e4cd.html

Cisco NSF works with SSO to minimize the amount of time a network is unavailable to its users following a switchover while continuing to forward IP packets. The main purpose of NSF is to continue forwarding IP packets following a supervisor engine switchover.

Cisco NSF is supported by the BGP, OSPF, and IS-IS protocols for routing and is supported by Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF) for forwarding. The routing protocols have been enhanced with NSF-capability and awareness, which means that routers running these protocols can detect a switchover and take the necessary actions to continue forwarding network traffic and to recover route information from the peer devices.

But you will need a 12.2 IOS release to run this feature.

Hope this helps

Hi Jolmo,

Thanks for response

Unfortunately i'm running 12.1.

Here you mean to say , it is expected behaviour and if i configure with NSF , interface (Fe/GE) will not go down on line cards and 12.1 is not statueful ?

chintan

Chintan, with 12.1 release you can use RPR+.

With RPR+, installed modules are not reloaded during a switchover because both the startup configuration and the running configuration are continually synchronized from the active to the redundant supervisor engine.

Here you are the complete info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800da705.html

HTH

Hi,

I have found this:

it takes 30-60 secs and during this my interface goes down. I think even in RPR+ Line card will go down means , GE/FE interface will go down.

Quote from cisco:

Catalyst 6500 series switches support fault resistance by allowing a redundant supervisor engine to take over if the primary supervisor engine fails. RPR supports a switchover time of 2 to 4 minutes and RPR+ supports a switchover time of 30 to 60 seconds.

Rgds

Chintan

Yes, you are right.

Network services are disrupted until the redundant supervisor engine takes over and the switch recovers.

Thanks for your valuable info.