Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

6509 SupII

I have a Cisco 6509 w/ Sup II that was configured for TACACs. This person is no longer available. SO when we reboot the switch and try the break key does not do anything. We cannot log into the Switch to make any changes, thus getting into ROM MON to erase the config. Any ideas why this is?

6 REPLIES

Re: 6509 SupII

Try other key combinations noted in the below CCO link. Break key should work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

If you don't have the procedure for recovering the password on 6500 series switches use the following CCO link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_password_recovery09186a0080133fb1.shtml#topic1

Hope that helps!

Sundar

I dont know what terminal software you are using but in the past I have had problems with HyperTerminal and some others with the break sequence.

Purple

I agree hyperterminal stinks. Go out and download Tera Term . If you are seeing the correct output as it begins to load it is most likely you term emulator. If its just a layer 2 6509 with catos its easy to break in you don't need the break key , let the switch boot up and as soon as it asks for the password "immediatly" hit the enter key and it should just take you to a prompt then quickly type enable and hit the enter key a couple of times . If its a IOS SupII then you do need the break key..

Well, I am running into a locked TACAC's prompt and do not know a local user account nor a TACAC's account. I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I wanted to close this message. Since it was CatOS, I did what someone mentioned, hit enter a few times before it asks for a password. Then went into "enable" mode and reset both passwords. You have 30 seconds to do it, so act fast.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Joseph

Thanks for posting back to the forum and indicating that you had resolved the problem. It makes the forum more useful when we can read about a problem and know what resolved the problem. It would be even better if you would rate the post with the correct suggestion and check the box that indicates it resolved the problem. That way readers know that they can expect to find a solution to the problem described.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies