cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Switch & Routing

timpotter
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, this may be a silly question for you, but here it goes. We have a 6509 switch with a Supervisor Engine 2 2ge Plus Msfc-2 & Pfc-2 that we'll be installing. We are doing this so we can use the switch as our core router. I'm missing something though... How do you assign IP addresses? Can you assign them to individual ports on our 48-port 10/100 card? Or do I have to assign the IP addresses to VLAN's? Also, I thought I read that the default gateway would be on the same subnet and that doesn' t seem right to me. Maybe that was for management. Basically we have a 10.8.20.0 network on the lan and the switch would be 10.8.20.1. The default route would be 10.8.21.1 to our firewall and out to the Internet. The other WAN routes would point toward 10.8.22.1 (our WAN router). I'm just a little confused on how to set this up as I mentioned above. Thanks for your help!

-Tim

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sure it is workable. You have to connect to SUP first and create all VLANs you need + assign to the right ports. Then you have to connect to MSFC and create interface for each VLAN. I think that is what you are missing - VLANs need to be defined on both switch and router.

View solution in original post

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Tim

Basically this is what you'll need to setup on your MSFC and Sup.

1. Create all the necessary VLANs in your network. Avoid using VLAN1 for normal traffic. That is leave this VLAN1 for management of communication devices such as switches, routers etc so that you'll use this IP subnet/VLANs when connecting to these devices. You might want to assign VLANs as per department in your network. If you're going to connect this core switch to other distribution/access switches, I recommend that you'll connect to other switches using trunk instead of statically assigning VLAN membership. BTW, you'll have to chose whether to use 802.1Q or ISL trunking.

2. By default, the "backplane" connection from the switch to the MSFC will be put in "trunked" mode. If not, make this connection as trunk. Create sub-interfaces on this "trunked" interface on the MSFC. Each sub-interface will route for ONE and only one VLAN. The IP address that you'll assign to the sub-interface will be the default gateway for any device that sit on that particular VLAN. Don't forget to add the "native" keyword when specifying VLAN encapsulation for VLAN1.

3. If you've done things properly, be default the MSFC will automatically route traffic between VLANs. Test this out and make sure that you can route from devices (PCs) between VLANs.

4. Once you've achieved VLANs routing, turn on the appropriate routing protocol that you're currently runnning in your network. Test that you can ping devices on your core router from a remote location.

Here is an example of how to configure VLAN routing. Note that the example is not exactly the same in your case but you could try looking on Cisco web site. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

Good luck

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you running hybrid OS or native IOS? Paste the output of show ver. ALso the following page should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/8.html

Best design would be to assign your individual ports to VLANs and then assign an IP address to the VLAN interface

Looks like that page talks about setting a management IP address. That I have no problem with.

I don't currently have access to the switch (working on that - remote location), but I have a config printout. In show ver it says:

WS-C6509 software, version NmpSW: 6.3(1)

This means you have CatOS, and in this case, you can;t assign ip address to the ports - You can group them in certain vlans and then enable intervlan routing on the MSFC to route across the vlans.

But if you have MSFC with the sup, and you want to assign every ports individual ip address, then you need to conver the switch from catos to IOS.

Why you want to assign the ip address per port?? what are you trying to achieve

No, I don't need to assign IP addresses to the interfaces, it's just what I'm used to in the router world. I haven't done much intervlan routing, but I think I get it. Just in case, let me run a simplified example by you:

Inside interface Internet Router: 10.8.21.1/24

Inside interface WAN Router: 10.8.22.1/24

LAN Subnet (workstations & servers): 10.8.20.0/24

Default Gateway for PC's: 10.8.20.1

Okay, so I put the workstations and servers in VLAN 11 and assign it an IP address of 10.8.20.1

Then I plug the Internet router into one of the 10/100 ports and assign that port to VLAN 21 with an IP address of 10.8.21.2/24

Then I plug the WAN router into one of the 10/100 ports and assign that port to VLAN 22 with an IP address of 10.8.22.2/24

The default route on the Switch would point to 10.8.21.1 via VLAN 21 so as to send all unknown destinations out to the Internet.

Then I'd add routes on the switch to our WAN sites via 10.8.22.1 (wan router) on VLAN 22.

Is that about the sum of it?

Thanks for your help.

-Tim

I think you will need to add three interfaces on your MSFC. One interface for each VLAN to do your inter-vlan routing.

If you use VLAN1 for management (SC0) you will need to add another interface to you list in order to be able to telnet directly to the switch from your network.

On the MSFC you will add your default route. The default route that is added to the switch configuration I do not think will work for your LAN clients.

HTH

Right. I would add each VLAN to the MSFC.

But how about my sample above. Anyone? Does it sound workable?

Thanks,

-Tim

Sure it is workable. You have to connect to SUP first and create all VLANs you need + assign to the right ports. Then you have to connect to MSFC and create interface for each VLAN. I think that is what you are missing - VLANs need to be defined on both switch and router.

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Tim

Basically this is what you'll need to setup on your MSFC and Sup.

1. Create all the necessary VLANs in your network. Avoid using VLAN1 for normal traffic. That is leave this VLAN1 for management of communication devices such as switches, routers etc so that you'll use this IP subnet/VLANs when connecting to these devices. You might want to assign VLANs as per department in your network. If you're going to connect this core switch to other distribution/access switches, I recommend that you'll connect to other switches using trunk instead of statically assigning VLAN membership. BTW, you'll have to chose whether to use 802.1Q or ISL trunking.

2. By default, the "backplane" connection from the switch to the MSFC will be put in "trunked" mode. If not, make this connection as trunk. Create sub-interfaces on this "trunked" interface on the MSFC. Each sub-interface will route for ONE and only one VLAN. The IP address that you'll assign to the sub-interface will be the default gateway for any device that sit on that particular VLAN. Don't forget to add the "native" keyword when specifying VLAN encapsulation for VLAN1.

3. If you've done things properly, be default the MSFC will automatically route traffic between VLANs. Test this out and make sure that you can route from devices (PCs) between VLANs.

4. Once you've achieved VLANs routing, turn on the appropriate routing protocol that you're currently runnning in your network. Test that you can ping devices on your core router from a remote location.

Here is an example of how to configure VLAN routing. Note that the example is not exactly the same in your case but you could try looking on Cisco web site. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

Good luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco