Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

6509 vlan routing

I have 6509 with the Sup2/MSFC2 card installed. I've upgraded the switch to the Native IOS from the Hybrid CatOS. I'm connecting to Enterasys (formerly Cabletron) switches running SecureFast software.

I need to know if I can configure a unique MAC address for each VLAN I have configured.

My understanding is that routing on the 6509 is handled through the VLAN interfaces. However these interfaces all share the MAC address of the MSFC. This causes a problem when I connect to the Enterasys because it now sees two IP addresses assigned to the same MAC address.

Manually setting the MAC address in the VLAN interface doesn't work because it changes the MAC for all VLANs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY

Re: 6509 vlan routing

I believe there is no workaround for this issue except to fix the securefast implementation by cabletron. In theory it is okay to have the same mac-address on two different vlans (i.e. two different ip address sharing the same mac). Not sure if you checked with Cabletron yet.

Views
Helpful
Replies