Cisco Support Community
Community Member

6509 with ATM Card

I have a client who wanted to upgrade their T1 Internet connection. They bought a PA-A3T3 card for their core Cat 6509 (Soup 1A). The Cat has a open slot in their FlexWan module for the PA-A3T3. The problem is that the Cat is behind their PIX .....naturally. Is anyone aware of a way to basically take Internet traffic into the new ATM card on the Cat, then send it to the PIX and then send it back to the Cat? I can hear you sayin' "What a friggin' ugly traffic path!" I agree but the guy has already bought the card and has kept it for several months already and can't return it.

Traffic flow would be: Internet>>>>>>>ATM Card on CAT>>>>>>>PIX>>>>>>>Ethernet Port on CAT>>>>>>Clients

Re: 6509 with ATM Card

1483 Bridging might get you what you want here. Don't know what code you are running so I don't know if you can now support this.

Basically you can bind a SUP VLAN to a PVC, so you could have a PVC coming into your customer switch bound to one Ethernet/Fastethernet accessport that could deliver traffic to your PIX.

Here is a URL Discussing this 1483 Bridging a bit.

This is not a good design, as you've already mentioned and there are more ways to do this. You might be able to accomplish this with NAT as well.

Hope this helps out,

Community Member

Re: 6509 with ATM Card

Thanks Don. Thought about this a little more and frankly, from a security prespective, I just don't think this is worth mucking with. I think I am going to recommend to the client to return the card (if possible) and consider adding T1s to their ISP and performing BPG "multi-path" load balancing to increase Internet access bandwidth.

CreatePlease to create content