Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HI ALL!

ALL THE CORE;DIST SWITCHs IN MY ENTERPRISE ARE 6509-E WITH SUP-720;UNLESS 3 DIST WITH THE SUPERVISOR ENGINE 1A-2GE.NOW CAN I UPGRADE THESE SWITCHS TO SUPPORT GLBP.AND I NEED TO UPDATE THE EXISTing MEMORY & THE OS FROM Catos to pure ios in the chassies.what is the requirment + the procedure.HOW CAN I ACHIVE SUCCESSFUL UPGRADE.

10xs FOR UR HELP

ali

29 REPLIES

Re: 6509

Hi Ali,

If you want to convert from CATOS to IOS please have a look at this link which will give you step by step instructions for conversion.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/81.html#step

There is no specific requirment for conversion only you should make sure that the supervisor bootflash should have enough space to support your pure ios and incase it does not have enough space then you need to have external flash card to have the image loaded on that and then you can start with conversion procedure.

Just follow the steps and you will be done.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

HI ANKUR 10XS FOR UR REPLY!

THE LINK DIDN'T OPEN NEED A CCO UNLIMITED.PS ANOTHER

10XS

ALI

HI ANKUR

ALWAYS U HELP ME.REALY I APPRECIATED UR HELP.10xs

ALI

HI

I GOT FLASH MEMORY PCMCIA 64.WHICH IOS VERSION U ADVISE ME TO INSTALL.

10XS

ALI

Hi Ali,

You will be converting catos to ios on which supervisor. I mean which supervisor you are having which you want to convert from CATOS to IOS.

Though I don't have the latest information for the most stable IOS code as its been long I have worked on new IOS releases but its better you post whch sup engine and which msfc you have on which you are planning to convert from catos to ios so that may be someone who know about the latest IOS will help you out.

HTH

Ankur

HI MY FRIEND!

HERE IS:SUPERVISOR ENGINE 1A-2GE.....MSFC1

HAVE A LOOK TO THE 2 IOS:

c6sup−is−mz.120−7.XE1 is the Catalyst 6500/6000 Cisco IOS Software Release 12.0(7)XE1

image (with Supervisor Engine 1/MSFC1).

¨

c6sup11−dsv−mz.121−19.E1 is the Catalyst 6500/6000 Cisco IOS Software Release

12.1(19)E1 image (with Supervisor Engine 1/MSFC1).

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENT?WHICH ONE I WILL USE.I NEED FULL INTEGRATION.

10XS

ALI

Hi Ali,

Check this image "c6sup11-dsv-mz.121-19.E1". Now if you read this image check first few words "c6sup11" now this means it is for cat6k switch for supervisor 1 and msfc 1.

That "sup11" states sup1 and msfc1.

I am not able to recognise your first image which is "c6sup-is-mz.120-7.XE1" as there is no mention which sup and which msfc it is for and also seems to be very old image.

Ankur

hi

I Have to know why in this version of 6509.there is 2 operating systems.CATos in the sup & ios in the MSFC1.CAN u clear me.

10xs

ali

Hi Ali,

The secind image which you posted is the image only for MSFC so this means switch is running in HYBRID MODE which is a CATOS mode and it will have have 2 images one on supervisor which will start with "cat6000-sup" for sup 1 and sup 1A and another image will be on msfc which will start with "c6msfc" which means it is for msfc1.

Now if you see the image for NATIVE mode it will start with "c6sup11" which is for sup 1 and msfc1.

I will recommend you to just have a look at this link which will clear you the naming convetion of images in hybrid mode and native mode

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/81.html#naming

Ankur

HI FRIEND

Thank u very much my friend; alyays u have provided ME a usefull link.i'll read it now.

10xs ankur in advance

ALI

HI

I NEED A USEFULL LINK HOW TO DO A PASSWORD RECOVERY FOR THIS MODEL.

10XS FOR UR HELP

ALI

Hi Friend,

Here you go for the link for passowrd recovery for your switch

If switch is running in CATOS mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_password_recovery09186a00801349aa.shtml#topic1

If switch is running Native IOS mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_password_recovery09186a0080133fb1.shtml#topic1

Both the links have step by step instruction for password recovery

Ankur

HI FRIEND

ANKUR THANK U VERY MUCH.ALWAYS U HELP ME.

ALI

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_tech_notes_list.html

this link have all most trubulshooting of 65xx

regards

Devang

ankur hybrid mode means catos and normal ios both can work on different engine ...am i right or its something else???

regards

Devang

Hi Devang,

Yes hybrid mode means 2 seperate images one for sup engine which is CATOS and one for msfc which is IOS.

Where as native mode means one single IOS image for both sup and msfc.

HTH

Ankur

HI

SO IN MY SITUATION I WANT TO UPGRADE TO NATIVE MODE;IOS image for both sup and msfc. WHAT IOS SHOULD I NEED IN MY SITUATION

10XS

ALI

hi ali,

i think you can go for but some time there is issue regarding to redundancy of RPR and RPR+.

ankur i want to know when we need to have native mode and when we need to have the hybrid mode...i think it is issue regarding to the hardware supported and various feature...

regards

Devang

Hi Ali,

You need to have an IOS image which starts with "c6sup11" as this image is a single IOS image for both sup and msfc.

The image name for an example will be something like this "c6sup11-dsv-mz.121-19.E1" s you see the strting name of the image is "c6sup11" signifies it is a NATIVE IOS image for sup 1 and msfc1.

Devang: The benefit of having Native IOS is that you need not hop between sup and msfc to configure both insted of that you can have single IOS image to control both sup and msfc and it will be ease in configuration also as it will be having normal IOS commnd instead of set based command for sup engine in hybrid mode.

Also if you have native ios mode you can configure redundancy like RPR and RPR+ where the switchover time will be much less compred to the switchover time in hybrid mode.

For difference between CATOS and Native IOS mode have look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/81.html#diff

HTH, is yes please rate all post.

Ankur

ankur,

when we are going to use the native IOS then we are havaing the option of RPR+ right otherwise in hybrid mode we are not having the RPR+...means when switch detect the hybrid IOS then it will only work in RPR mode...so switch over time will increase as RPR failover time is 2 to 4 min...where as RPR+ having the failover time of 30 to 60 second...it mean it is more better to use the native IOS mode...right.

regards

Devang

Hi Devang,

The RPR and RPR+ modes both are only availble in Native mode only. The difference is if you have different images loaded on 2 supervisors in 2 slots then you have the only option of RPR but if there is a same images on both the sups then you will get the RPR+

When the switch is running in HYBRID mode which is CATOS mode you hve the option for SRM, DRM on msfc and sups with CATOS get synch by its own.

I will appreciate if you rate all helpfull post.

Ankur

HI Ankur

10xs for advising me to the stable IOS Code:c6sup11-dsv-mz.121-19.E1.so i need to download this IOS on both sup & msfc.am i right.

Ali

Hi Ali,

No you do not need to download this image on both sup and msfc. This is a single integrated image for both sup and msfc.

You have to download this image on supervisor bootflash only if you have enough space and configure msfc boot statement to boot from this image will be loaded on bootflash of supervisor.The boot statement on msfc will look like this

"boot system flash sup-bootflash:"

This will tell msfc to boot from the image which is loaded on sup engine only.

If you check my first link which I gave you when you started this post you will get an idea how to do the conversion from CATOS to NATIVE mode and that link will guide you how and where to download this image.

Ankur

ofcourse i've read ur great link;but somthing i didn't got it. here is:c6sup11−jsv−mz.121−19.E1a on the pcmcia.

c6msfc−boot−mz.121−19.E1a on the bootflash on the msfc.WHY The 2 is different

10xs

ALI

Hi Ali,

Your first image c6sup11-jsv-mz.121-19.E1a is a main integrated IOS for sup and msfc but your second image c6msfc-boot-mz.121-19.E1a is just a boot image which will be loaded on msfc for minimal booting purpose. This image will not have any adance features but just a basic features which will let MSFC to boot.

But after booting it will check the main image which will be loaded on sup bootflash and will be ready for all advance functionality.

Ankur

so i need to download from CISCO Site these 2 image

c6sup11-jsv-mz.121-19.E1a for sup

&

c6msfc-boot-mz.121-19.E1a for msfc.am i rights

B/W Sorry about my a lot post!

Ali

Hi Ali,

Yes you are right.

But your msfc will alrady be having a boot image as msfc 1 cannot boot without a boot image.

So verify that with "dir bootflash:" command once you are on the enable prompt of msfc.

Regards,

Ankur

HI ANKUR 10XS FOR UR REPLY!

ANKUR;I APPRECIATED ALWAYS UR HELP.ANKUR WITHOUT U I CAN'T CONTINUE IN MY WORK.MAYBE THE BOSS WAS GET ME OUT.

10XS FOR LET ME UPGRADETED MY CARRIER(IN CISCO PRODUCT) & IN GREAT CISCO TECNOLOGY

ALI

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content