Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

6513 - Attaching a router to a trunk port

I have a 6513 with a trunk port that extends vlans accross a provider network to 3 remote sites. I now need to add 5 additional sites accross the same trunk port and provider network but I do not have layer 3 switches at the remote site, only 2821 routers. I can't seem to figure out how to connect the 2821 without an access port in a vlan at the remote site. If I change the port on the 6513 to routed I lose my vlans but if it's trunked I can't patch in a router. I do have addtional 2821 routers that I can put in the 3 switched sites but there has been a big focus on extended vlans. I need to verify if there is a way to trunk and route on the same port.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: 6513 - Attaching a router to a trunk port

Hi Greg,

Here's a document that details what you are trying to configure:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/171.html

Now, based on your description, I believe you are running Native IOS on your 6500, but on the 6500, you are simply configuring a standard trunk. The main idea is that you'll configure subinterfaces on the 2821 side, and enable 802.1q trunking by issuing the command "enacapsulation dot1q ".

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Greg,

Here's a document that details what you are trying to configure:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/171.html

Now, based on your description, I believe you are running Native IOS on your 6500, but on the 6500, you are simply configuring a standard trunk. The main idea is that you'll configure subinterfaces on the 2821 side, and enable 802.1q trunking by issuing the command "enacapsulation dot1q ".

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

Yes, I am running native IOS on the 6500. I am looking at the configuration right now and it reminds me of reading about a 'router on a stick'. Anyways, the 2821 has 2 gig interfaces. I created 1 sub interface on the port facing the provider just to add the encapsulation command and put another IP on the inside interface and it appears to be working great! I've created a routed VLAN id for the 2821's and added it to the allowed list on the port on the 6513 which is still a simple trunk.

Thanks for your help....I will learn how to rate this post!!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content