Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6513 Sup 720 IOS upgrade -

Guys,

I have never upgraded a Sup 720 before and I have a question. Do I simply tftp in the new IOS (12.2.17d.SXB) to the sup-bootflash and that's it? Or do I also have to fire in the same image to the MSFC as well? In other words, two tftps to do the upgrade (one for the Sup and one for the MSFC). This is very unclear on cco. I have never used pure native mode before on 65xx series. Is native simply one image running on the Sup and forget about the MSFC?

Whilst on this subject. I have redundant Sup720's. When upgrading, can I upgrade the slave sup720, switch over to it, then upgrade the previously active Sup?? Will the "new" standby" Sup now automatically get the new IOS from the newly active Sup or must it be upgraded manually?

Thanks a lot guys.

Steve

4 REPLIES

Re: 6513 Sup 720 IOS upgrade -

Sorted it.

All you have to do is tftp it to the sup-bootflash. When the Supervisor loads it downloads the image automatically from the sup-bootflash to the MSFC so that all you have to do to do the upgrade is to fire it into the supervsior - NOT the MSFC.

In doing a system upgrade all you have to do is load the image to the active sup-bootlflash then to the slave-supbootflash. You then change the "boot system" to match your new release and reload the standby. You then switch to the standby and reload the sup that was active. System is then on the new release with minimum disruption.

Steve

Can someone get a little more detailed in the no interrruption upgrade process.

I have upgraded redundant 720's before and I have the fortunate circumstance to be able to take it down for maintenance.I FTP'd the IOS to one Sup, pulled it - upgraded the other Sup. Reloaded with both Sups in and then configured redundancy. Not elegant, but it works.

-Bob

How would I do to upgrade CatOS in Sup1A on a 6509 and the IOS in the MSFC II, I guess that this would be acomplished in a very different way than just downloading only one image...

Cisco Employee

If you are running hybrid(cat os on the sup and IOS on the MSFC2), you'll need to download new images to both the Sup and MSFC2 if you are upgrading both. If you are upgrading only sup or MSFC2, get the appropriate code. The following pages should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/161.html

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/129.html

If you are running Native IOS(one integrated IOS for Sup and MSFC), you will still have one image on the Sup-bootflash: or slot0:

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content