cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7 Equal cost paths in ospf

dinesh_ymca
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.we are using ospf and have 6 equal cost paths between two sites.Now we are coming up with 7th IPLC,now how to support this 7th IPLC.

i cannot use multilink caz if one link of a mullink bundle fails i have to take full multilink out of production.

I cannot use two routers as if one router has 4 E1`s and other has 3 E1`s and 3 out of 4 E1`s fail on a router then only one E1 will have to bear the 50% load,

Can anyone suggest a good solution for my problem

regards

dinesh

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Dinesh,

Your question didnt come through...

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Why not group them into multilink bundles of group 2,2 and 3, so that even if one of the links of any bundle goes down, you still have 2 remaining groups available. Now for OSPF, there will be only 3 routes available for equal cost load balancing.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi shanky.

well we are using IPLC`s and we are paying for each IPLC.Now suppose we have bundled 2 IPLC`s into one multilink bundle,if only 1 of these 2 is down or fluctuating we have to take whole multilink bundle out of production.we r running OSPF and VOIP,so cannot bear any fluctuations.Moreover the bundle that will have 3 E1`s if in that one E1 fails we will loose other two also.

so it is not feasible in our network.

hope i m clear.

plz suggest

regards

dinesh

Hi dinesh

one clarification needed why do you have to take the whole multilink bundle out of production when one E1 fails?

what i would suggest is that there is very high probabbility of the E1 increasing in future so go in for a HSSI, connect all E1 to a black box ( for eg Nortel passport) and give the multiplexed o/p to the HSSI.

rgds

I may be way off here, but if a link goes down , wouldn't the new link state DB reassess equal paths with only the usable links?

Bruce Davis, CCNA since 2003

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Late code can support up to 8 parallel links, using cef for load sharing, if this is any help.

Russ

Hi.

well if one E1 of the Multilink Bundle is fluctuating,then it will effect the whole Multilink bundle,as our is a VOIP network we cannot allow fluctuations as it causes voice issues.

Russ please tell me how can i support 8 links on load balancing using cef.

regads

Dinesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: