cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7200 Boot Failure - bad processor?

drumrb0y
Level 1
Level 1

When consoled into my 7204 router (no modules except an I/O card), on powerup I only get this:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(19991120:010612) [nlaw-conn_4xe_ECC 112], DEVELOP

MENT SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1994-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

The router hangs at this point and I can't get to rommon mode with a key break.

Bad NPE card, bad IOS image, or something else? I swapped flash cards to no effect.

Thanks,

Marc

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ccaballe
Level 1
Level 1

It is hard to tell if the issue is due to a faulty IO controller, NPE or interface (PA) please try to boot up the router without a card in it, remove all the PA and reboot the router, if it boots up then insert one by one the PA and try to identify which one is causing the issue, if the router does not boot up then try to take it to rommon mode, if none of them work then a faulty NPE or IO controller can be determined, if you have a spare IO and NPE then test them in the router and see what happens, usually when a router hangs is due to a communication problem with the internal compmnents of the router so it could be a NPE, IO controller, PA's or either the Slots in the router.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ccaballe
Level 1
Level 1

It is hard to tell if the issue is due to a faulty IO controller, NPE or interface (PA) please try to boot up the router without a card in it, remove all the PA and reboot the router, if it boots up then insert one by one the PA and try to identify which one is causing the issue, if the router does not boot up then try to take it to rommon mode, if none of them work then a faulty NPE or IO controller can be determined, if you have a spare IO and NPE then test them in the router and see what happens, usually when a router hangs is due to a communication problem with the internal compmnents of the router so it could be a NPE, IO controller, PA's or either the Slots in the router.

Hope this helps.

There were no PA modules installed, so I swapped out I/O cards; I discovered that certain dual FE cards were built for only VXR chassis and my 7204 is not VXR.

Swapping out the I/O card to an older FE card fixed it and it booted up from the flash card, despite a known boot error that is documented by Cisco; as long as it boots from flash, it works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: