Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

7200 for dialup

I have a question regarding the 7200 series router. If it's serial ports are not async/sync and its aux port is currently being used for management purposes, and the console port is off limits, what are the options I have for dialup connectivity into this router using an async modem. Is there a aux or async/sync wic that can be ordered for this series as I am having a hard time locating the part numbers on line if they exist. I need to connect from home and be routed directly into a windows logon screen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dallas

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: 7200 for dialup

Other than the aux port, not aware of any sync/asyn module on the c7200 platform.

Thanks, Mak.

Gold

Re: 7200 for dialup

Your options for low-speed async on the 7200 platform are kind of sparse

I think you discount your aux port too fast. If your aux port is only being used for occasional text based administration for IOS, be aware you can configure it to autosense PPP connections and switch into PPP mode on-demand while still configured to login to exec when used with Hyperterminal or another non-PPP dialer. Use "autoselect ppp" and "autoselect during-login" to accomplish this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1826/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800d9b76.html#xtocid62193

It's not clear why your console port is "off limits". Customarily, that's where you attach management terminals and modems to your router. This would completely free up your aux port for PPP connections.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content