Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

7204 Down!!!!!

I have a 7204 that will only boot in ROMMON. Does anyone have a method for loading the image on this platform from ROMMON?

4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: 7204 Down!!!!!

Hello,

usually, in ROMMON you would use the boot command followed by the name of the IOS file you want to boot. Be aware though that there is a different way to boot the system in IOS version 12.2 (not sure if that is what you have):

----------

Boot Changes in Cisco IOS Release 12.2

Cisco IOS Release 12.2 changed the behavior of the ROM monitor (ROMmon) during the bootup sequence. Previously, users could issue the break signal during the bootup sequence to break into ROMmon, and then immediately boot a new Cisco IOS image using the boot command.

This behavior is no longer allowed when the router is using a boot image that is based on Cisco IOS Release 12.2, because interrupting the boot process could leave the hardware and software registers in an unknown state. Instead, use the following procedure when using a router with a Cisco IOS Release 12.2 boot image:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 At the router's console prompt, send a BREAK signal to interrupt the boot process and enter ROMmon.

Step 2 Set the configure register to boot into ROMmon by giving the confreg 0x0 command.

Step 3 Use the reset command to reset the NPE and to boot into ROMmon. This ensures a clean boot into ROMmon, with all registers set to a known state.

Step 4 Set the configuration register to boot a Cisco IOS image by giving the confreg 0x2102 command.

Step 5 Use the boot command to boot the desired Cisco IOS image.

Regards,

Georg

Hi George,

Thank you for the reply

I have tried to boot from ROMMON with the image in flash, but the router gives me the following message:

rommon 23 > boot 7200-is-mz.121-21.bin

an alternate boot helper program is not specified

(monitor variable "BOOTLDR" is not set)

and unable to determine first file in bootflash

loadprog: error - on file open

boot: cannot load "7200-is-mz.121-21.bin"

I assume this means the image is currupted. Is there anyway I can download the image to flash from ROMMON on a 7204? It does not appear to support xmodem or tftpdnld.

in rommon issuse this command:

dir flash:

This should show you what image is in the flash to boot from. If there isn't a image, use xmodem to transfer the image up. You could also try to change the confreg to boot via tftp.

Silver

You most likely have a boot statement that is incorrect, change your config-regiseter to 0x2142 then reset.

rommon>confreg 0x2142

Once the box comes up it will have no config , do a copy start run and you will have your config back , after the box is up change the config register to 0x2102 and remove the bogus boot statement

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content