Views
Helpful
Replies

7206 VXR w/ i/o FE and NPE-300 boot problems

eokane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone can help me here. I'm having problems booting my 7206VXR. Problems started when I tried to upgrade the IOS to 12.3.9d by loading this onto one of the 20M slot flashes- I was told there was not enough space. I then seemed to have problems making space. Thus I decided to boot from a TFTP server directly connected.

Initially I had the following boot commands:

boot system tftp://10.128.0.99/c7200-tsjk9spgen-mz.PAGENT.4.2.1

boot system flash slot0:c7200-ik9s-mz.122-24b.bin

(legacy config)

I then connected a laptop @10.254.254.1 w/ TFTP server w/ c7200-p-mz.123-9d.bin

I then changed this to:

boot system tftp://10.254.254.1/c7200-p-mz.123-9d.bin

boot system flash slot0:c7200-ik9s-mz.122-24b.bin

And on reboot (power off/on) the router just hangs- the I/O power LED is illuminated orange (power is on!) but after that no other LEDs illuminate to indicate any activity. When I connect a cable (I think I have the correct DB25) nothing comes on the terminal.

I have C7200-I/O-FE, NPE-300, PA-FE, iDS3+ port adaptor. When the router is powered off/on the only LED that is illuminated is the I/O power. No other LEDs flash or remain on.

If the router can't boot from the network or from flash does it drop into ROM or hang?

Should I expect to see the router check for the hardware installed and thus the LEDs should flash?

I don't think I had the command boot system rom as a contingency- DOH!

Any suggestions as to problem or even better a solution gratefully received.

Cheers,

Eamon.

1 Reply 1

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

perhaps the image you are attempting to load from tftp is getting hung up for some reason and the boot is not completing.

you can try to use 'password recovery' techniques to get the router to rommon and see if you can work with it from there to load/boot an image.

see this link for password recovery for 7200:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_password_recovery09186a00800942d3.shtml

also, if all else fails, remove all modules from router that you can and attempt to boot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: