Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

801 ISDN Ch1 gone down??

Router has been working satisfactorily 'til recently, but now won't dial out. Noticed on power up that the ISDN Ch1 TXD l.e.d. no longer stays on with all other l.e.d.s for about 1 second during initialisation - it flickers on once for a nanosecond, and that's it. Telco checked and reset ISDN line - reports all ok, no fault found. I've substituted cables, etc., but makes no difference. So I guess this is a hardware fault with the router...?

Assuming the above is correct, how do I alter my router config (simple language please, I'm a novice!) so that ISDN Ch2 is the default. Presumably I'll also need to disable Ch1.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

7 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: 801 ISDN Ch1 gone down??

Hello Roger,

you cannot independently configure the B-channels. A quick workaround would be to turn on ppp multilink and set the dialer load-threshold to 1, this way both B-channels always come up:

interface bri0

ppp multilink

dialer load-threshold 1

Which IOS version and platform are you running ? This might be a software bug.

Regards,

Georg

Hi Georg

Thanks for responding...

IOS is v12.0(5)T and I'm running Windows 2000 Pro SP3. Norton AV is bang up to date, so system is completely clean.

This system has been running untouched for months, which is why I'm looking at the router hardware as the source of the problem particularly in view of the changed l.e.d. status at initialisation. That l.e.d. was coming up "solid" like the others immediately prior to the connect failure.

Cannot get "interface bri0" to accept the command "dialer load-threshold 1". Says I should "Remove Dialer Profile Configuration first", but have tried prefixing each line under "Interface Dialer1" with "no" but cannot delete them.

I'm probably going about this the wrong way, but my knowledge of editing the router configuration is extremely limited. For instance, I can "copy and paste" the configuration out into Notepad, but cannot paste it back again into the router! I'm obviously not at the right "level" within the router config, or using the wrong commands...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Ok, it's now well and truly screwed up and not working... After an unsuccessful attempt at running "ConfigMaker", it now refuses to let me in on Hyperterminal; I am greeted by a password prompt, but it fails to recognise the one that I've been successfully using up 'til now. I can also no longer ping the original i.p.address either.

Is there anything further that can be done with this router now, or is it to be consigned to the great ethernet dustbin?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

VIP Purple

Hello Roger,

I guess the first thing to do is a password recovery so you can get back into the router. Follow this link for the procedure:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_password_recovery09186a00800942c2.shtml

Once you are back in, can you post your configuration here ? Do you have access to a higher IOS version (12.2) ? There are a lot of bugs in 12.1 related to ISDN, one of them might apply to your problem.

Regards,

Georg

Hi Georg,

Thanks for your reply. For some unexplained reason Cisco's locked me out from that link! But from elsewhere I found this one:-

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_800.html

It enabled me to get in and change passwords etc., although I had to ignore certain instructions! I ran ConfigMaker again, and now have the router up and running on Ch1. The Ch1 TXD l.e.d. still doesn't register properly at initialisation, but it appears to connect ok on that first channel.

As regards a higher IOS version (12.2), I guess I'd only be able to obtain it from Cisco, for which they'd charge me?

Just getting back to the "cut 'n' paste" business, is there anywhere I can find simple step-by-step instructions?

Thanks for your help Georg - very much appreciated.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

VIP Purple

Hi Georg

Thanks for the links. I shall plough through the .pdf when time permits!

However, router has now deteriorated to the point where it won't connect to ISDN under any circumstances - I'm still erring towards a hardware failure, maybe an I.C. going bad.

Thanks for your help Georg.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content