Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

802.1x authentication

Folks,

Have anyone implemented dot.1x authentication in their network. I find it hard to belive that the windows XP machines actually sends the domain login credidentials after the port credidentials have been validated. Does anyone know how it exactly works?

1) user logs in to his PC using cached domain credidentails.

2) then he autheticates to the radius server (dot1x).

3) then his domain credidentials are automatically sent to the domain controller and login scripts are run to give him access to all the shares.

Am i right on that?

Also, does anyone know if catalyst 5005 latest code supports dot1x.

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: 802.1x authentication

Hi Tarun,

As far as I know, logon scripts, domain security policies can't run because of cached logons. I don't know exact process for Windows XP, but you can go through below mentioned URL which explains process for Windows 2000, logon process for Windows XP will not be much different.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/w2kstart.asp

My co. had thought of using 802.1x authentication few months back, but we didn't go for it due to cached logon issue.

Regards

Re: 802.1x authentication

Thanks a lot Suhas.

What is the point of using dot1x authentication in an enterprise if people can not run login scripts at the time they log on and have to log on using cached creditentials. dot1x is practically not feasable then. Has anyone else come accross the same issue. My enterprise wants to deploy it, but, if people can not map drives at logon and have to logon using cached credentails then what is the point.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies