Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x

Level 1
Level 1

Just wanted some info on 802.1x. I have the cisco instructions on how to configure it on a switch but was interested in the RADIUS server. Do you use a RADIUS server for the authentication? Is it physically connected to a switch on the network? can you use a regular Sun solaris sparc box and just load some RADIUS software. Any info would be helpful to get me started.

2 Replies 2

Yes, you run RADIUS software on a Sun or windows box somewhere on the network. Cisco ACS server springs to mind, but there are 802.1x supporting RADIUS servers from Funk software and others too.

Personally I'd run it on a windows box so I could point ACS at the windows domain / active directory database for authentication rather than building a separate one.

Thanks for the response. Can the RADIUS server be connected to a switch on my network and then since it has an IP everything gets sent to it for authentication?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: